Follow this blog!

Follow i want, doesnt get.

25 June, 2011

in the nic of time

Just before Christmas I was a dresser for a Harvey Nichols fashion show in Manchester. It was a preview of the new collections by the personal shopping department so many VIP shoppers were among the fashion front row.

It was a pretty hectic experience (but which fashion show isn't?) and myself and the other dressers worked a 12hour day without a break. It was there that I learned how high pressure the fashion world is, and I think that it is these experiences that weed out those who aren't really going to put the effort in to reach the top of the fashion business. So many people go into fashion because they get caught up in the glamour of it and think it is like an episode of The Hills, not realising the dedication, ambition and competitive nature that is essential in such a popular and ruthless industry. I was guilty of being bewitched by the bright lights and expensive clothes but I'm lucky that, through various experiences, I have been able to establish that this is the career for me. I think I had one of those 'ah ha' moments when the model I was dressing didn't look very good in an outfit that was meant to fit the 70s trend and I was given the oppertunity to style her. I chose a very glam Halston Heritage jumpsuit and some Louboutin platforms finished off with D&G accessories and I felt so proud of myself. I don't think I have the eye to be a professional stylist, but that was one of many moments that made me feel confident about my future.





1 comment:

  1. Looks like a cool show! That must've been so fun!

    stylebymj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...